Thursday, February 10, 2011

Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons

This past summer we took a family vacation with my in-laws to Hilton Head, SC. We decided one night to head down to Savannah for dinner at Paula Deen's The Lady & Sons Restaurant. You don't make reservations to go here, but what they don't tell you is you have to line up early in the morning to get a reservation for that night. We did not know this so when we showed up at 4:30 thinking we were going to be in a line to get reservations for that night they said they were full. My father in law being the magician that he is not only got us a reservation for 9:30, but later on got us in about an hour earlier.

My only hesitation about going to the Queen of Butter's restaurant was, well, the butter. My son has a severe dairy allergy. I was loaded up with benadryl, epi-pens, inhalers and ready for the inevitable. Yes, this looks like irresponsible parenting- but he had already eaten dinner (remember our reservation was for 9:30) so we figured he could sip lemonade and eat some french fries or just fall asleep. Well, I am going to share a dirty little secret...they use soy margerine-that's right DAIRY FREE! The whole buffet my kid could eat, except the mac and cheese. Off the menu except for items with cream he could eat.

Bacon Wrapped Shrimp



Chicken Pot Pie

We had a nice evening, free of any allergy drama. We were very stuffed walking out of there. Our server was incredible. I had the chicken pot pie- it was a great comfort, much better than the frozen pot pies my mom used to make. Our lesson learned, always ask, don't assume when dealing with food allergies, you may just get an answer that surprises you!


No comments:

Post a Comment